Sunday, March 9, 2008

Training update

Its been a while since I last had a training update, but some of that is due to how many other things I have had going on recently.

I have been training consistently but have not been able to get in as much cycling as I would have liked. In particular I have not been getting in any longer rides on the weekend, which is usually a staple of my training. Going over my logs today I realized that before this week I had only done three rides over 50 miles.

A couple weeks ago I started adding some intervals into my Monday runs. This is an eight mile relatively flat run, I am doing three 5 minute intervals holding sub six pace, spaced throughout the run.

Last Sunday I rode in the mountains with a couple other guys. The weather was beautiful for the first hour but then the winds picked up. They were worse than I have ever seen up there. We had originally planned to follow a road along a ridge to Mt. Baldy village but headed down the mountain at the top of Glendora Mountain Road because it was not safe to ride the ridge in the wind. At one point I stopped to pull out some branches that had blown into my front wheel. While bending over the front of my bike the wind blew my back wheel off the ground!

At the bottom of the mountain I headed further East and did two hard loops around Bonelli Park.

On Monday I swam in the morning and did my interval run at lunch. Wednesday I did my long run (14 miles in 1:44). Thursday I rode a local hill ride with Rich Sawiris of Wheelbuilder.com and we really pummeled each other, probably the highest quality ride I have had in a LONG time. Friday I swam in the AM and ran eight miles at lunch at sub 7 pace. Saturday was an easy 56 mile bike. Today I rode 95 miles with Rich Strauss on the bike path averaging just under 21mph. I was WORKED when it was over. This was my biggest training week in terms of distance and intensity since prior to Kona. Hopefully it pays off at 1/2 IM California at the end of the month.

No comments: