Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Todays Ride

There has been a lot of online coverage of a tragedy in the Bay Area where two cyclists were killed by a police officer when he crossed the double yellow line and hit them head on this past Sunday.

I usually just do a short run on Tuesdays but my left shin is bothering me a bit so I decided to get in a bike ride today at lunch instead.

I rode out San Gabriel Canyon up highway 39 to East Fork and back. While riding through the windy canyon, each time I rounded a corner I thought about that if a car came from the other way and did not negotiate the corner properly that there was no way I would be able to avoid them.

It was ironic to be enjoying a beautiful day in a beautiful mountain area and to realize how fragile everything is and the inherent risks we must face to enjoy our sport.

Be careful out there people.

No comments: