Wednesday, April 9, 2008

Renegade Off Road Tri

Kylie and I raced our first mountain bike triathlon this past weekend. We have wanted to do one for some time and I got a free entry to this one when I won the Redlands Triathlon in February!

It was a local race held at Bonelli Park in San Dimas, CA. It was a half mile swim, 15 mile mountain bike ride and a 3 mile run. After the race we planned to head out to Redlands to watch the Redlands classic bicycle race so we also brought our road bikes to ride around the course and watch the pros. Between two mountain bikes, 2 road bike, wetsuits and other tri gear plus "normal clothes" the CRV was packed.

It was a smaller race so there was just two waves: men and then women plus relays. It was the first beach start I have done for a long time and the running in and dolphin diving really got my heart rate up. So much so that I had to take it really easy for a couple moments to get my breath. I ended up coming out of the water in second about 15 seconds down on the leader but was first out of transition onto the bike.

Within a couple hundred yards I missed a left turn as the kids pointing us in the right direction weren't ready yet - oops! Fortunately they had a ribbon across the finish line so I turned around. I rode the beginning of the first loop with another rider but lost contact on the first steep section of single track. Over the next lap and a half a number of other riders passed me as well. I was cursing myself for not checking everything on my bike more closely as my seatpost kept slipping and I had to stop to adjust it a couple times each lap.

The course went through some beautiful fields of wildflowers that were taller than us and right to the edge of our handlebars on the singletrack trail. Unfortunately, it was very easy to miss corners as you couldn't see the markings on the trail until you were on top of them due to the tall grasses.

Coming off the bike I was down in about eighth position. The run started with a very steep uphill run and did not get easier as the entire course was continuous uphills and downhills. It was tough but fun. I managed to pass a number of the people who had passed me on the bike and ended up in third place overall and won my age group.

Mountain bike tris are definately require a different type of fitness. On the road you can maintain consistant heart rate/watts/effort. On the mountain bike, your heart rate is skyrocketing on the steep uphills and then on the downhills you can't just coast because there is so much more techincal bike handling skills needed.

Kylie also had a great race, even after setting a Personal Best in a 5km the previous day! She was 2nd in her age group and 5th woman overall. No pictures of me but here is one I took of her near the end of the bike.
They had a computer glich so the awards never happened, but we are looking forward to getting our awards in the mail. They had these cool pint glasses, I like these much better than the standard medal that will just sit in a drawer somewhere.

Afterwards we went to Kylie's work to shower and then rode our road bikes through Redlands to meet up with some of Kylie's friends to watch the bike race.

On a sad note Kylie's grandfather passed away this weekend. We visited with him this past Thanksgiving and I am glad I had the opportunity to meet him. He was a wonderful man and will be missed by all.

No comments: